|Date Posted||July 24, 2022|
Mining / Oil / Gas
Advisor, Energy Trading [HYBRID]
* Job ID:
* Job Family: Power Procurement / Renewables
* Location: Rosemead, CA US
* Other Locations:
Join the Clean Energy Revolution
Become an Advisor, Energy Trading at Southern California Edison (SCE) and build a better tomorrow. In this job, you'll have responsibility of working collaboratively with other Energy Traders developing, managing, and implementing SCE's complex physical and financial energy portfolio while satisfying internal and external compliance policies and regulatory obligations. Additionally, you'll be required to develop a deep understanding of the components of SCE's energy portfolio - natural gas, resource adequacy, and emissions positions - and their respective trading strategies. Although this position will have no direct reports, the expectation is that you will mentor the other Trading team members and make strategic and tactical trading and risk management decisions on a daily basis.
As an Advisor, Energy Trading, your work will help power our planet, reduce carbon emissions, and create cleaner air for everyone. Are you ready to take on the challenge to help us build the future?
A day in the life - Get ready to think big, work smart and shine bright!
* Develops and seeks SCE senior and executive level management approval of trading strategies for SCE's financial and physical power exposures
* Analyzes and measures effectiveness of existing strategies, processes, methods, tools, and products to determine improvements, enhancements, and efficiencies
* Evaluates how the analysis of supply and demand fundamentals impact our overall power procurement strategy
* Executes and manages short and intermediate-term (up to 18 months) physical and financial power transactions and is responsible for ensuring key commercial terms and pricing with counterparties are achieved
* Transacts resource adequacy-related products to ensure monthly and annual compliance
* Supports natural gas, emissions, and resource adequacy procurement activities, as necessary
* Builds external business relationships with counterparties, generators, marketers, and brokers
* Builds internal business relationships with leadership, Directors and Principal Managers, to ensure effective trading strategies for natural gas, power, resource adequacy and emissions trading are implemented
* Ensures the accurate and appropriate responses to data requests and reports for regulators (e.g., California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC), Quarterly Compliance Reporting, Energy Resources Recovery Account, and Long Term Procurement Plan)
* Acts as a mentor and supports professional development opportunities for members of the Energy Trading and Energy Operations teams
* Promotes and supports a culture of personal development, feedback, accountability and continuous improvement
* 7+ years of experience in functions related to energy markets, energy trading, commodity trading or financial risk management
* Proficient in Microsoft Excel (e.g. Pivot Tables)
* Bachelor's or Master's Degree in Economics, Finance, Business, or other related discipline
* 5+ years of experience with operational planning, trading, and/or analysis of energy portfolios in deregulated wholesale power markets
* Strong knowledge of the Western power markets and Western Electricity Coordinating Council topography
* Experience trading/scheduling natural gas on SoCalGas and/or El Paso Natural Gas pipeline systems
* Understanding of resource adequacy framework and compliance requirements in California and western region
* In-depth understanding of the operating rules and regulatory requirements of California energy and emissions markets, including knowledge of California Independent System Operator, CPUC, Federal Energy Regulatory Commission and California Air Resources Board
* Experience with Energy Trading & Risk Management systems (e.g. Endur)
* Strong leadership, communication, presentation, and negotiating skills to build consensus with stakeholders to develop and maintain partnerships with support organizations and senior management
* Self-driven and able to work well in a team environment
You should know …
* Work Mode: When a return-to-office date has been determined, this position's work mode is hybrid. The employee will report to an SCE facility for a set number of days with the option to work remotely on the remaining days. Unless otherwise noted, employees are required to reside in the state of California. Further details of this work mode will be discussed at the interview stage.
* Visit our Candidate Resources page to get meaningful information related to benefits, perks, resources, testing information, and hiring process, and more!
* Relocation may apply to this position.
* This position requires testing and applicants who are identified to continue through the selection process will be invited to test via email. We invite you to visit our Testing Information page for further information and to access information guides. For information guides, please reference test 8203. Candidates who have previously passed this assessment, in some cases, may not need to retest again for this position.
About Southern California Edison
The people at SCE don't just keep the lights on. Our mission is so much bigger. We're fueling the kind of innovation that's changing an entire industry, and quite possibly the planet. Join us and create a future with cleaner energy, while providing our customers with the safety and reliability they demand. At SCE, you'll have a chance to grow personally and professionally, making a real impact in Southern California and around the world.
At SCE, we celebrate our differences. We are a proud Equal Opportunity Employer and will not discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status or any other protected status.
We are committed to ensuring that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodations at .