|Date Posted||June 10, 2021|
Mining / Oil / Gas
Title: Civil Project Engineer
About BayWa: BayWa r.e. Solar Projects is a global partner in the planning, funding, construction and operations management of utility scale solar projects. We deliver renewable energy solutions worldwide, and have brought over 3 GW of energy online, while managing over 8 GW of assets. BayWa r.e. Solar Projects, LLC and BayWa r.e. USA, LLC are part of the €16 billion BayWa Group and work hard every day to find new solutions, push technological boundaries, and actively shape the future of energy. Both business entities are based in Irvine, CA and are responsible for the group's North American activities in the solar and storage sectors and has over 4 GW of project pipeline in the U.S. and Mexico.
Purpose of Role: Responsible for all aspects of Civil Engineering for ground mounted utility scale solar PV projects including due diligence, land assessment, design, and other civil engineering activities. Coordinate and manage internal and third-party such as civil engineering firms, consultants, subject matter experts, and independent engineering during all the phases of the projects from pre-acquisition though development to construction. Lead the grow of the GIS and Civil Engineering Team advising the company management on possible improvements related to new processes, tools, commercial strategies and increase of human resources.
- Coordinate 3rd party surveyors, civil and structural engineering resources creating and managing project engineering forecasts and schedules of deliverables. Create preliminary scope of work and issue engineering RFPs to obtain subcontractor bids.
- Analyze geotechnical reports, which include laboratory in-situ results, boring reports, and pile load testing reports, to provide assessment on subsurface cost and risk for the project.
- Work with other departments to identify the GIS needs. Coordinate consultants and internal resources to develop customized GIS platform.
- Prepare preliminary site feasibility studies based on site visual surveys, desktop studies using available databases that classify soil, topography, environmental constraints, hydrology, and other conditions that may affect project feasibility or cost.
- Prepare final site assessments to support the final estimate of the project (by others), managing third party engineering firms to perform all the needed studies such as ALTA survey, geotechnical study, hydrology study, foundation lateral pull test.
- Create preliminary structural calculations for pile foundations.
- Create "site exclusion" and "buildable area" plans using 3rd party drafting support and incorporating results and restrictions from technical studies and analysis (ALTA, soil conditions, slope analysis, etc.)
- Coordinate preliminary layout drawings using 3rd party drafting support.
- Answer RFI's related to civil activities on projects.
- Support Estimation Department with civil-related engineering documents and quantities.
- Support Development team with needed development engineering documents.
- Review and approval of EPC engineering submittal, controlling their conformance with SOW contracted schedule.
- Provide technical engineering support and coordination to Construction throughout the design and construction of projects.
- Create regular project engineering status reports and change orders.
- Work with other departments to analyze alternative technical solutions to improve and complement renewable energy projects.
- Identify opportunities of improvement regarding processes, tools, and best practices.
- Contribute innovative ideas to enhance technology and quality in practices utilized by the BayWa engineering department.
- Five to ten (5-10) years Civil Engineering experience with 5 years of experience on solar photovoltaic utility scale projects.
- Minimum two (2) years of geotechnical experience (pile testing, bore testing, understanding different soil conditions and their impact on foundations.)
- Candidate must possess experience in successfully executing projects from inception, through construction, and into operation while providing strong technical direction/guidance in civil engineering backgrounds (especially geotechnical backgrounds).
- Experience performing grading analysis and cut-and-fill analysis.
- Experience in supervising earthwork movement activities, geo-structural analysis, and seismic stability, and deformation analysis.
- Exposure and coordination in civil construction a plus.
- Some level of experience in hydrology and drainage analysis preferred.
Education, Licenses, and Certificates:
- Advanced Degree (MSCE) in civil engineering from college or university with an ABET-accredited civil/geotechnical engineering program is strongly preferred. Bachelor's degree is minimum.
- Professional Engineering (PE) Licensure with a Geotechnical background strongly preferred.
Other Skills and Abilities:
- High proficiency with industry standard software widely used in geotechnical analysis and design, AutoCAD Civil3D, Esri GIS, and other applicable software, in addition to MS Excel, MS Project, and the MS Office suite.
- Irvine, CA
BayWa r.e. Solar Projects LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE). Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, gender, gender expression, citizenship status, genetic information, ancestry, marital status, medical condition, AIDS/HIV status, political activities or affiliations, national origin, sexual orientation, status as a victim of domestic violence, assault, or stalking, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristics protected by local, state and federal laws.