|Location||Cedar Park, Texas|
|Date Posted||July 7, 2022|
Mining / Oil / Gas
At NOV M/D Totco, we deliver reliable and safe equipment to the oil and gas drilling industry. Within our organization, Compliance/Certification Engineers are key contributors to development of equipment for use in hazardous locations containing flammable atmospheres.
Fast learning, problem solving, teamwork, and leadership are essential attributes for the certification engineer. The Compliance/Certification Engineer is primarily responsible for obtaining and maintaining certification of NOV M/D Totco products. The Compliance/Certification Engineer is involved in the whole life cycle of a product, from initial requirements definition through market introduction, manufacturing, and the withdrawal of the product from the market. Growth opportunities include advancement from seeking basic certification of products to leading engineers to develop certifiable designs of unique drilling industry products.
* Seek certification of NOV M/D Totco data acquisition, instrumentation, and control system products for use in oil and gas drilling applications.
* Certification activities involve electrical safety, hazardous locations, pressure vessels, machinery safety, electromagnetic compatibility, and intentional radiators.
* Hazardous location certification is achieved for US and Canadian Class/Division and Class/Zone, IEC Zone, and European Union Zone applications applying US, Canadian, IECEx, EU directives, and EU harmonized standards.
* Certification efforts include direct involvement with certification authorities, such as Underwriters Laboratories/Demko, Intertek, Canadian Standards Association, Factory Mutual, American Bureau of Shipping, and Det Norske Veritas.
* The certification engineer will advise and provide consultation to product development engineers and management on matters of certification of electrical and mechanical designs.
* The certification engineer will also provide advice and consultation to engineers, technical publications, field engineers, product line management, quality assurance, manufacturing, and purchasing.
* Will participate in new product development by providing certification requirements relevant for the geographic locations and regulatory environments in which the product will be marketed.
* Will provide design for certification advice to design engineers to minimize the risk and time required to certify new products.
* Assess designs to applicable industry standards for compliance to certification requirements and provide advice to engineering and management on any non-compliance issues.
* Review and approve the release and modification of engineering documentation where related to certified product.
* Act as liaison with certification authorities and testing organizations for specific projects.
* Participate in the annual review of certification documentation validity and produce reports to management of findings.
* Host certification authority factory inspections, in-house testing, and product evaluations.
* Participate in cost and schedule assessments for certification activities for product development and sustaining efforts involving certification activities.
* Generate requests for quotes to testing and certification authorities.
* Perform overall project management of certification engineering projects and assist in assignment of such projects.
* Bachelor of Science degree in Electrical Engineering.
* Three years of related experience in product certification.
* Knowledge of EU directives such as LVD, EMC, ATEX, PED, and RED, and the related standards.
* Knowledge of US and Canadian hazardous location requirements, standards, and electrical codes such as NFPA 70, the National Electrical Code.
* Experience with intrinsic safety, non-incendive, flameproof, and purge/pressurize explosion protection types.
* Ability to organize work and communicate clearly and effectively.
* Product design engineering experience.
* Knowledge of oil and gas drilling equipment and operations.
* Experience with hazardous location design and certification, especially intrinsic safety and explosion/flameproof protection concepts.
* Experience in direct interactions with testing and certifying authorities.
* Familiarity with generation of certification documentation such as European Union Declarations of Conformity, technical construction files, and risk assessments, certification requirements.
* Experience in basic project management, including cost and schedule estimation.
* Involvement with Quality Assurance system procedures and audits as pertains to certification.