|Date Posted||January 11, 2022|
Mining / Oil / Gas
As energy availability becomes increasingly critical, there's no end to the scope and significance of your work - and to where it can take you at Stantec. Every day, we're problem-solving and collaborating on projects that are as challenging as they are impactful. Whether designing a transformational cross-country pipeline, optimizing facilities, verifying the safety and reliability of an asset, or in the field overseeing construction projects, you'll be joining a team of recognized industry experts on work that's critical to our clients and our communities. The Oil & Gas industry is changing - and we're helping clients stay ahead of the change. Join a team that's working together with industry to deliver innovation for the long term on some of the most important and interesting projects around the world.
In this position as an Electrical Engineering Technician/Technologist, you will have the opportunity to work as part of a team of engineers and technologists on multiple projects for a range of public and private sector clients. This is a great opportunity for a motivated, energetic individual who wants to challenge their abilities in a dynamic work environment.
An Electrical Engineering Technician/Technologist will complete tasks on oil & gas, pipelines, and petrochemical projects such as pump stations and terminals, power plants and other projects. Work performed will be under the general supervision of a Senior Electrical Engineering Technician/Technologist or Engineer.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Coordinates with other disciplines to ensure compatibility with the design intent.
- Supports the project team in development of design, documentation, plans and reports for relevant project design elements
- Performs calculations to analyze and design electrical system components.
- Draw on proactive and analytical problem solving skills to deliver robust electrical models
- Follow production guidelines and project standards in the department drafting standards manual
- Assist in the coordination of design and specifications within the context of a multidisciplinary design team
- Conduct site observation and/or inspection activities during design or construction phases of the project
- Work closely with the Electrical Engineer and engineering group in recommending the best use of project tools in order to achieve project objectives, troubleshoot and resolve issues with the project tools
- Performs thorough quality control of construction documents and provides design ideas and solutions
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Ability to work with others on large complex projects.
- Working knowledge of electrical NEC code and industry standards such as IEEE, ANSI, API, and CSA
- Ability to solve problems using sound professional judgment, creativity and innovation.
- Ability to read and create LV Single Line Diagrams, including sizing of electrical equipment, conduit and cable, Motor Control Schematic diagrams
- Knowledge of API-RP-500 to create Hazardous Area Classification Plan and detail drawings.
- Ability to create Grounding Plan and detail drawings for the installation of new equipment, Conduit / Cable Tray Routing Plan drawings, Conduit / Cable Schedule drawings, Electrical Detail drawings, Electrical Equipment Location and Stub-up Plan drawings, PLC Panel Layout drawings, create PLC I/O Schematic drawings, and Control System Architecture drawings
- Ability to read and understand Vendor information
- Eager to learn with strong listening and critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Takes initiative on tasks and in coordinating with other members of the team.
- Proficient in Microsoft (MS) Office Suite.
- Proficient in relevant software programs including AutoCAD, AutoPlant, Smartplant, and/or MicroStation, and Adobe Acrobat.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills.
- Able to work under and meet tight deadlines.
- Recognizes when technical problems are developing and initiates appropriate corrective actions.
- Working knowledge of industrial control systems such as PLC's, DC's, and SCADA is an asset.
- Prior to employment with Stantec, this position will require the successful passing of a drug screen.
Education and Experience
- Technical degree/diploma/certificate or equivalent in related field; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum of 5-6 years of experience.
Position will primarily work in an office setting; may require some field work.
Field and office environment, working with computers and remaining sedentary for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employeeand other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.