|Date Posted||April 8, 2021|
Mining / Oil / Gas
Orano Federal Services LLC is seeking a Engineer III/IV - Mechanical Engineer (or equivalent) to serve as a Remote Maintenance Design Engineer for nuclear fuel cycle facilities including reactor facilities, small modular reactor facilities, nuclear material processing facilities, etc. The position may be based in Charlotte, NC or Federal Way, WA. The initial focus with respect to work scope will be reactor buildings and fuel handling buildings for small modular reactors.
The individual will perform engineering tasks requiring application of standard established techniques and practices. Responsibilities will include planning/conducting individually assigned engineering tasks or participation in a portion of a larger task or project. Additional responsibilities could include performing standard engineering assignments typically in areas of proposal development, work planning/scoping, design, analysis, evaluation, testing, preparation of specifications/other technical documents, fabrication follow-up, execution of field tasks, and resolution of fabrication/field problems.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
Duties and responsibilities could include but are not limited to the following:
- Participating in system design reviews
- Assisting system engineers in the definition of equipment maintenance/inspection requirements and the identification of spare parts
- Identification of equipment failure modes and maintenance strategy
- Providing requirements for facility design/layout to facilitate equipment access, performance of remote maintenance/inspection, and equipment removal
- Identification of sensors/equipment/tools/systems for monitoring equipment performance and/or performing inspections
- Providing recommendations with respect to equipment standardization, modularization, and handling/connection design (e.g., gripping connections, positioning devices, locking connections, electrical connections, fluid connections, etc.)
- Identifying existing commercial equipment that can be used-as-is or modified to perform remote maintenance or inspection
- Researching and/or developing concepts for more custom remote maintenance and inspection equipment
- Participating in the development of detailed design, fabrication, and testing of custom or modified remote maintenance/inspection equipment (and associated tooling) as a project manager, project engineering technical lead, design team member, subcontract technical representative, and/or in an alternate role
- Interfacing with facility design/operations personnel as well as suppliers throughout project execution
- Ensuring compliance with government, organization, and customer engineering standards and procedures
All candidates must meet the following minimum requirements in order to be considered for this opportunity.
- B.S. in Mechanical Engineering (or related discipline)
- Minimum 3 to 7 years of experience
- Knowledge/experience with respect to the design, operation, inspection and maintenance of nuclear facilities
- Knowledge/experience with respect to the design of facility remote handling equipment, specialty equipment, and/or tooling
- Ability to adapt existing remote maintenance design principles to facilities in development
- Advanced knowledge of engineering standards and criteria
- Strong problem identification and problem resolution skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills including the ability to comprehend and convey detailed technical data
- Ability to develop and maintain good interpersonal relationships
The following requirements are desired and will be used to differentiate all candidates who apply for this position:
- Knowledge of decontamination methods/equipment
- Design experience with respect to hot cells, airlocks, maintenance cells, and/or shielded enclosures/gloveboxes
- Experience with 3D CAD software such as SolidWorks
- Robotics experience
- Related ASME Code inspection and maintenance.
Orano is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.