|Date Posted||June 10, 2021|
Mining / Oil / Gas
*Global remote position- will work from home but travel globally to multiple plants**
This position will support the virtual lab and is accountable for providing technical, process knowledge and leadership in energy management to optimize performance and reduce energy consumption for Remelt/Casting and Recycle plants globally. The responsibilities will include introduction of research, new technologies, processes and/or equipment to reduce carbon footprint in the melting area. The incumbent will also provide training, create training materials and champion sharing of best practices.
- Be able to predict or assess the viability of a new technology or process based on business needs and goals to reduce carbon footprint and efficiently use energy.
- Balance multiple priorities across multiple projects or work streams, always ensuring that critical projects do not get stalled by lack of guidance or support.
- Maintain contacts with industry suppliers to be aware of the new developments in area of expertise and always be able to come up with the best technical solution for Novelis needs, either regionally or globally.
- Collect and present information at various levels on technical options available to meet specific project requirements for expected throughput based on type of inputs and other project requirements. Highlight unknown and propose options to eliminate risks (e.g. research or capital expenditure).
- Clearly establish objectives and set and achieve milestones, demonstrating responsibility for objectives and final outcomes.
- Thoroughly and independently troubleshoot and investigate technical problems in area of expertise, research alternative solutions, to conceive and implement solutions.
- Develop and facilitate educational/training programs necessary to ensure best practice standards are shared and the growth of others is promoted.
- Advanced engineering/technical Mechanical Engineering degree
- 10-15+ years of deep technical knowledge and practical experience acquired over many years working in one or more plants
- Knowledge of statistics and statistical methods.
- Working knowledge of 3-D and 2-D design software.
- Knowledge of OSI Pi Software preferred
- Travel requirements including domestic and international (at times up to 50%)
- Be comfortable leading a local team remotely; have the ability to influence and persuade Novelis operations and technical personnel, at all global locations, over whom there is no direct authority, to take actions and follow recommendations.
- Understand the difference in culture between the different countries where Novelis is active, and be able to effectively interact, while considering that customers are located in various countries on four continents, sometimes with different time zones and languages.
- Experience with communicating complex technical content and technical presentations to peers and leaders that will influence senior leadership.
- Must have a detailed understanding and application of Engineering Principles and Practices related to area of expertise.
- Knowledge of cast house safety practices.
- Demonstrated process knowledge and successful pertinent research and development of projects related to area of expertise.
- Excellent communication skills with all levels of personnel.
- Must possess initiative and be able to work independently.
- Must have leadership skills and be able to work through complex situations to find solutions to problems.