|Location||New York, New York|
|Date Posted||July 9, 2022|
Mining / Oil / Gas
Join the Green Investment Group US origination team as a Grid Specialist! As part of a small team of 3-4 people you will identify opportunities and progress early-stage development in the US. Your initial focus will be in the markets that are quickly emerging along the East Coast. The role will sit within the Green Investment Group Electrical Engineering team.
As a Grid Specialist you will be responsible, first and foremost, for supporting the evaluation of new project opportunities with inputs relating to grid and offshore transmission system design costs and risks. Relevant topics pertaining to your role will include grid capacity availability, grid interconnection lead times, costs and commercial/regulatory risks.
You will also be required to support development of individual projects. At the project level, your responsibilities will need extend to:
* Developing a package strategy, with the objective to develop a reliable technical solution, optimising LCOE, and respecting Health, Safety, Environmental and Quality requirements
* Securing grid connection for individual sites
* Developing and implementing the procurement strategy for the package
* Ensuring requirements in terms of Quality and HSE are met
* Ensuring interfaces with other packages, contractors and stakeholders are identified and appropriately managed
* Defining and implementing activities relating to certification of the electrical packages and ensuring compliance with regulatory requirements
* Ensuring that the package risk profile is understood and appropriately managed
* Managing the package schedule, progress, including reporting on progress status and highlighting any issues
Given that the US team will initially be focused on project origination and early project development, you will need to bring a wide range of technical skills to bear, including:
* Grid interconnection and offshore transmission package management for offshore wind including strategy planning and implementation and day-to-day management of package activities.
* Grid interconnection technical analysis to support selection of optimal onshore connection locations, ideally with experience of power systems assessment.
* Offshore transmission electrical design covering early concept optioneering including assessment of CAPEX and OPEX.
* Grid regulation and policy experience. Required to identify risks/opportunities and proactively engage in change processes.
Beyond the previously stated responsibilities, it would be beneficial if you also had skills and experience with power systems modelling including load flow, short circuit, voltage, fault ride through and harmonics. Exposure to offshore transmission, wind farm electrical systems design studies covering pre-FEED and FEED stages and offshore transmission procurement and detailed design would be ideal.
Alongside your 10+ years in the renewables or power sector, contractor management experience will be required as the role will need support from consultants. TSO and regulator engagement experience (ideally with TSOs in major US offshore wind markets) would be viewed favourably. Commercial strategy to advise on the costs and risk profile associated with the interconnection agreement and codes throughout the project lifecycle and experience of development to ensure good working with land and consenting teams are also ideal skill sets for you to bring to the table. For consideration you should be a degree educated electrical engineer (powers systems graduate ideally), and potentially hold a "professional engineer" registration.
Given the embryonic nature of the team, and the wide variety of potential markets/projects, you will need to be someone that is flexible and resilient and will display strengths in the following areas:
* Ability to set own goals, based on team/corporate objectives.
* Plan and execute effectively to deliver outcomes against objectives.
* Strong analytical skills
* Able to respond quickly to changing environment
* Comfortable working with little structure and oversight
Find out more about Macquarie at
About the Green Investment Group
This role is within Macquarie's Green Investment Group (GIG). GIG is a specialist in green infrastructure principal investment, development, project delivery, and the management of portfolio assets, and related services. Its track record, expertise and capability make it a global leader in green investment, dedicated to supporting the growth of the global green economy. The institution was initially launched by the UK Government in 2012 as the Green Investment Bank - the first institution of its type in the world. It was purchased by Macquarie in 2017 and combined with Macquarie Capital's renewables team to create one of the world's largest teams of specialist green investors. Now operating as Macquarie's Green Investment Group, the platform has more than 400 staff with investments or operations in over 25 markets across Europe, North America, Asia and Australia. For more information, visit .
Our COVID-19 policy
The health and wellbeing of our employees is a priority. We continue to focus on providing a safe workplace for our people, our stakeholders and those who visit us, and are committed to contributing to the safety of the communities where we live and work.
In line with evolving health regulations and many of our industry peers, we require all Macquarie employees in the United States to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and provide proof of full vaccination in order to attend the office and to participate in external meetings and business travel, unless a reasonable accommodation is approved or as otherwise required by law.
Our commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
The diversity of our people is one of our greatest strengths. An inclusive and equitable workplace enables us to embrace that diversity to deliver more innovative and sustainable solutions for our people, clients, shareholders and communities. At Macquarie, you'll be encouraged to be yourself and supported to perform at your best. If you're inspired to deliver on our purpose of 'empowering people to innovate and invest for a better future', we want you on our team. If you need adjustments made to the recruitment process, please reach out to your recruiter.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, marital status, gender identity or any other impermissible criterion or circumstance. Macquarie also takes affirmative action in support of its policy to hire and advance in employment of individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
We equip our people with the support to work in a range of flexible ways. Talk to us about what working arrangements would help you thrive.