|Date Posted||July 15, 2022|
Mining / Oil / Gas
Local Unit & Position Description
DNV Energy Systems is offering an internship to candidates interested in a future career in the renewables industry. In this internship, you will be an active member of the IE Wind Turbine Technology Section that evaluates the risks associated with wind farm technology, providing (amongst other things) site suitability assessments, turbine technology reviews and construction monitoring reports of wind farms to project owners, lenders, equity investors, banks, etc. The Engineering Intern will have the opportunity to learn how the IE Wind Turbine Technology team initiates, develops and completes technical risk evaluation of existing and new wind turbine models. The internship will allow the Intern to gain significant knowledge about current and future trends in wind turbine designs, including wind turbine blades, gearboxes, generators, etc., and the historical and current technological issues in the wind industry through on-the-job work/training and scheduled weekly learning opportunities provided by DNV experts. The primary focus of this internship will focus on tool developments.Why You Should Join UsBecause within our group, organizational culture, and more specifically how we collectively influence the world for future generations, matters deeply to us. Our team works every day to increase the widespread deployment and operation of renewables to address climate change and positively impact society; endeavors to achieve our purpose through the success of our customers; and strives to be high-performing and innovative. Our approach reflects the equity, respect, and diversity we wish to see in the world.
This internship will be based in our Independent Engineering (IE) Wind Turbine Technology team and can be located in our Montreal, Toronto or Seattle offices. The internship is offered either as full-time in the office, or in hybrid form, with at least two days a week in the office.
What you'll do
- Support tool development, including:
- QAQC review automation, using Python
- Turbine issues database organization and management
- Blade issues database organization and management
- Perform turbine site suitability studies with DNV's developed analytical tools. Evaluate site suitability assessment prepared by wind turbine OEMs
- Contribute to wind turbine technology assessments, review and report writing, as part of technical due diligence for project financing, mergers & acquisitions, owner purchases, and other business needs
- Prepare detailed reports, memos, technical notes, and email correspondence to communicate clearly and objectively to internal clients with accuracy and technical rigor
- Engage within a group of engineers, reviewing, and verifying each other's work
- Interact with other team members and clients in a manner that is professional and promotes collaboration
What is Required
*NOTE: Please submit a cover letter along with your resume when applying. In your cover letter, please tell us why you are interested in this role with DNV.
- Undergraduate or graduate level student in a relevant Engineering discipline (or recent graduate)
- Basic knowledge of wind turbine systems including gearboxes, blades, pitch and yaw systems, and generators
- Relevant courses/experience with database development and management, Python programming experience, or relevant experience
- Proficient in MS Office programs (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint), and able to learn new software
- Self-starter, quick learner, takes initiative and ownership
- High level of integrity and confidentiality
- Strong written and verbal English communication skills
- We conduct pre-employment drug and background screening
*Immigration-related employment benefits, for example visa sponsorship, are not available for this position*
How We Do It
We Care, We Dare, We Share
DNV is a proud equal opportunity employer committed to building an inclusive and diverse workforce. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit or business need, without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
For more information about your rights under the law, see:
Read more here:
Diversity at DNV
Meet our Employees
Careers in DNV
DNV is committed to ensuring equal employment opportunity, including providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with a disability. US applicants with a physical or mental disability who require a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process may contact the North America Recruitment department (). Information received relating to accommodations will be addressed confidentially.
What We Offer
- Generous paid time off (vacation, sick days, company holidays, personal days)
- Multiple Medical and Dental benefit plans to choose from, Vision benefits
- Spending accounts - FSA, Dependent Care, Commuter Benefits, company-seeded HSA
- Special programs - Employee Assistance Program, ID theft protection, and accident and critical illness options for you and your family
- Employer-paid, therapist-led, virtual care services through Talkspace
- 401(k) with company match
- Company provided life insurance, short-term, and long-term disability benefits
- Tuition assistance
- Consumer discounts and rewards
- Flexible work schedule with hybrid/remote opportunities
- Advancement opportunities**Benefits vary based on position, tenure, location, and employee election**
Please visit our website at
Company & Business Area Description
DNV is the independent expert in assurance and risk management, operating in more than 100 countries. Through our broad experience and deep expertise we advance safety and sustainable performance, set industry benchmarks, and inspire and invent solutions.
We provide assurance to the entire energy value chain through our advisory, monitoring, verification, and certification services. As the world's leading resource of independent energy experts and technical advisors, we help industries and governments to navigate the many complex, interrelated transitions taking place globally and regionally, in the energy industry. We are committed to realizing the goals of the Paris Agreement, and support all stakeholders to transition faster to a deeply decarbonized energy system.