|Location||Not Specified, California|
|Date Posted||July 16, 2022|
Mining / Oil / Gas
# Who we are
UnitedMasters is building a marketplace that connects artists, brands and fans - empowering artists to earn and grow. UnitedMasters has taken the bold step of building a music distribution service that, radically, puts artists first - disrupting the legacy music business by letting up-and-coming artists distribute their music directly to fans through streaming services while maintaining ownership of their master recording rights and up to 100% of royalties. Through the combination of UnitedMasters' music distribution platform and its deep ties to brands, UnitedMasters enables independent artists and changemakers to grow and earn unlike any other platform.
The UnitedMasters team is made up of musicians, marketers, engineers, and storytellers with backgrounds from YouTube, SoundCloud, Pandora, Facebook, Uber, Dropbox, Complex, VICE, and more. We work hand in hand with the award-winning creative teams that forge those innovative partnerships at Translation (our in-house creative advertising agency).
# What's the role
UnitedMasters is seeking a Research Strategist to help support our mission of empowering artists. You will be responsible for understanding who our current and potential users are, what their deepest needs are, and what opportunities we have to meet those needs. Your research will inform our product and design strategy for how we develop products that support users.
What You'll Do
- Think strategically: Explore opportunities for our artists, generate product and services ideas on our most strategically important initiatives. Through insights, independently identify knowledge gaps and define new research opportunities that will have the greatest impact on our users and our business.
- Lean into your craft: Design and conduct primarily generative user and market research. You'll use qualitative (field research, diary studies, etc) and quantitative methods (surveys, analysis, etc). You will oversee recurring projects, like NPS tracking and vendor-run usability studies. You operate independently with minimal need for supervision.
- Collaborate cross-functionally : Collaborate closely with Design, Product, Data Science, Engineering, and Marketing teams. Participate in the product design process to ensure the needs of UnitedMasters artists are accurately reflected in the end product.
- Drive action and impact: Uncovering insights are just the first step. You will synthesize and communicate research findings to shape designs and inform the product roadmap. The bulk of the job will be connecting your insights to our business goals, and developing clear action plans for the product and business strategy.
- 5+ years of relevant experience in a product development research setting
- Experience with mixed user and market research methods methods - both qualitative and quantitative - with a focus on research affecting strategy
- End-to-end experience with the full research lifecycle (study design, methodology selection, recruiting, moderation, analysis, reporting, actioning).
- Strong written and verbal communication skills. Ability to communicate research findings and recommendations clearly, concisely and persuasively to a variety of stakeholders
- Strong bias for impact. You not only uncover the insights, but you drive action with those findings across parts of the business
- Curiosity, empathy and a desire to empower artists to make money doing what they love
- Experience working cross functionally, managing internal stakeholders and external vendors
- Bonus points if:
- You have any experience in the music or entertainment industry
- Experience working in an ambiguous and rapidly changing environment
- MBA, MS or Ph.D. Human-Computer Interaction, Psychology, Statistics, Computer Science or a related field, or equivalent industry experience in a product-centric environment
UnitedMasters empowers brands and artists to forge authentic connections with audiences at scale by bringing together culture, technology and storytelling. UnitedMasters has taken the bold step of building a music distribution service that, radically, puts artists first - disrupting the legacy music business by letting up-and-coming artists distribute their music directly to fans through streaming services while maintaining ownership of their Masters and up to 100% of royalties. UnitedMasters has over 1.3 million artists on its platform and is growing rapidly. Brands like Diageo, Ally, and ESPN come to UnitedMasters to partner with these artists and play a role in moving culture forward. In the past year, UnitedMasters subscribers have grown rapidly. With $170M raised to date and valued at $550M, UnitedMasters is backed by Andreessen Horowitz, Apple, Alphabet (aka Google), and Disney amongst others.