|Date Posted||April 19, 2021|
Mining / Oil / Gas
The Role: Senior Editor, Americas News - Natural Gas
Grade ( relevant for internal applicants only ): 10
The Location: Houston
The Role: You will report on Natural Gas markets and the industry in the Americas, with emphasis on North America. Content you create (stories, graphs, infographics, podcasts, webcasts, webinars, etc.) will be market-focused, with the support of data and analysis from Platts Analytics and Platts gas and power price benchmarks.
Your major area of focus will be the Natural Gas upstream and midstream (processing, pipelines, storage) segments. With the aid of Platts Analytics data and analysis and Platts Pricing, you will write about drilling economics and their effect on prices; as well as pipeline gas flows, constraints and infrastructure development and their effect on prices.
You will also be covering the Energy Transition and what it means for Natural Gas, particularly with respect to hydrogen and responsible gas.
A data-savvy journalist able to mine state-level reports and market data will do well in this role. Platts news showcases the company's commodity price benchmarks and analytics to deliver market-relevant insight that is unavailable anywhere else. People read Platts news because it helps them make profit-critical decisions.
The Career Opportunity: The Platts culture emphasizes growth and development - and rewards initiative. You will collaborate with and learn from a diverse universe of colleagues in offices around the world. Training is available to aid development of all aspects of your career. Your peers will support you and value the contributions you make to your team.
The Team: Your manager will be the head of Gas News for the Americas, but you will also interact with the managers of oil and power news, as well as editors and writers covering the Energy Transition from other commodity perspectives. You will be surrounded by experienced journalists and analysts committed to accuracy, fairness, timeliness and relevancy. It's a fast-paced newsroom environment that is congenial and professional.
Your Skills: You must write well and be numerate. Data visualization skills are important as an increasing portion of our content is presented graphically. A commitment to the highest journalistic standards is expected. A curiosity about the energy industry -- energy commodities in particular - will provide a resourceful self-starter with plenty to write about. Spanish fluency is a plus.
Our Hiring Manager Says: "The person who will succeed in this job will be passionate about reporting and understanding complicated subject matter, and explaining it clearly and concisely for a time-starved audience. Resourcefulness and independence in someone who collaborates well with others is what we're looking for."
Compensation/Benefits Information (US Applicants Only):
S&P Global states that the anticipated base salary range for this position is $55,900 to $155,900. Base salary ranges may vary by geographic location.
In addition to base compensation, this role is eligible for an annual incentive bonus.
This role is eligible to receive additional S&P Global benefits. For more information on the benefits we provide to our employees, visit .
- Write intra-day and daily, concise and in-depth breaking news and analysis on key developments relevant to Natural Gas markets for Platts' real-time alert services, the web and publications.
- Collaborate with analysts and price reporters to provide timely market insight leveraging Platts' gas, power and hydrogen price benchmarks, proprietary data and analytics.
- Produce content in a wide variety of situations such as conferences, weekend emergencies, etc.
- File copy that is well-researched, accurate and clean (spelling, grammar and style).
- Develop a broad and diverse industry source base.
- Liaise with production team to produce graphics to enhance content.
- Contribute frequently to digital media activities (e.g., blogs, podcasts, video)
What We Are Looking For:
- Five-plus years of reporting/writing experience, preferably in energy markets, but also as a broader business or financial journalist.
- Flexible journalist able to cover developments from various regions in the Americas as needed.
- Concise writing style, numerate.
- Research and analytical capabilities with the ability to locate, interpret and leverage a variety of information, including market data, regulatory, legal and corporate documents.
- Bachelor's degree required. Journalism, Economics, Business and/or Finance.
At S&P Global Platts, we provide the insights; you make better informed trading and business decisions with confidence. We're the leading independent provider of information and benchmark prices for the commodities and energy markets. Customers in over 150 countries look to our expertise in news, pricing and analytics to deliver greater transparency and efficiency to markets. S&P Global Platts coverage includes oil and gas, power, petrochemicals, metals, agriculture and shipping.
S&P Global Platts is a division of S&P Global (NYSE: SPGI), which provides essential intelligence for individuals, companies and governments to make decisions with confidence. For more information, visit .
S&P Global is an equal opportunity employer committed to making all employment decisions without regard to race/ethnicity, sex, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, color, creed, religion, national origin, age, disability, marital status (including domestic partnerships and civil unions), sexual orientation, military veteran status, unemployment status, or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Only electronic job submissions will be considered for employment.
If you need an accommodation during the application process due to a disability, please send an email to: and your request will be forwarded to the appropriate person.
The EEO is the Law Poster describes discrimination protections under federal law.
20 - Professional (EEO-2 Job Categories-United States of America), EDTGRP202.1 - Middle Professional Tier I (EEO Job Group)
Job ID: 259611
Posted On: 2021-03-03
Location: Houston, Texas, United States