|Location||Saint Petersburg, Florida|
|Date Posted||June 22, 2022|
Mining / Oil / Gas
Title: Utility Technician (St Pete)
Company: Peoples Gas System
State and City: Florida - St. Petersburg
Shift: 8 Hr. X 5 Days
Power up a career with us. Our People are our greatest investments. TECO Peoples Gas offers competitive pay, a comprehensive benefits package and opportunities for growth and development in a friendly and professional work environment.
If you are interested in a career and not just a position, TECO Peoples Gas is the place to be!
TECO Peoples Gas is the largest natural gas distributor in Florida serving more than 400,000 customers across the state. Just as it was 125 years ago when we started as Tampa Gas Company, natural gas is today's No. 1 choice for reliable energy. Join our team of energy experts as we build on that legacy through innovation and cost-effective sustainable energy solutions all while keeping top-notch customer service at the center of all we do.
TECO Peoples Gas is a subsidiary of Emera Inc., a family of energy companies which also includes Tampa Electric and New Mexico Gas Company. Emera provides energy to residential and commercial customers in the United States, Canada, and the Caribbean, with career opportunities available in all of these locations.
Must be able to work emergency response overtime including call-out duty as business needs dictate. Overtime work includes extended workdays, weekends, holidays and call-out and stand-by schedule on a rotating basis. Must be able to respond to gas emergencies and/or business needs within divisional guidelines and required time frame. Must be able to work outdoors for extended periods of time.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/ REQUIREMENTS
* Must be able to wear appropriate personal protective equipment for work assigned.
* Must be able to pass a pulmonary function test for use of respiratory equipment.
* Must be able to ascend/descend ladders, stairs and the like using feet, legs, hands and arms.
* Must be able to maintain balance when walking, standing, or crouching, on/in narrow or slippery surfaces and/or spaces.
* Must be able to independently operate a motor vehicle in a safe manner.
* Must be able to independently enter/exit a motor vehicle as required during an eight hour shift.
* Must be able to bend and/or stoop requiring full use of the lower extremities and back muscles.
* Must be able to kneel and or crouch by bending legs at knees to come to rest at knees and bending body downward and forward by bending legs and spine.
* Must be able to walk, stand or sit for extended periods of time.
* Must be able to grasp/handle small hand tools and other objects by applying pressure with fingers and palms.
* Must be able to work primarily with fingers (pinching, picking, etc.) rather than using the whole hand or arm.
* Must be able to pull, push, lift and carry objects weighing up to 100 lbs.
* Must have vision correctable to 20/40.
* Must not have an average hearing loss greater than 40 decibels in the better ear at frequencies of 500, 1000 and 2000 with or without a hearing aid.
* Must be able to smell gas odorant in normal concentrations.
* Must be able to perform repetitive motions by extending arms and hands in any direction with substantial movement of wrists, hands and fingers.
* Must be able to rotate and revolve body (twist) as to face in another direction.
* Must be physically capable of indoor/outdoor manual labor.
Performs duties related to the operation, service, and/or location of natural gas pipelines; or a combination of such duties. May perform the new construction, installation and/or maintenance of gas distribution systems, and/or residential, commercial and industrial metering equipment. Ensures the safety of employees and customers.
Specific duties will be determined by the operational needs of the assigned location.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Performs a combination of the following:
* Reads meters and meter instruments, turns on and off residential and commercial gas service, appliances and equipment, including CNG and also may convert appliances. Sets and changes out residential and commercial meters/regulators. Performs duties in operation, maintenance and service of meters and regulators.
* Investigates metering equipment related to residential and commercial high-bill complaints or questionable/unusual low consumption readings.
* Fabricates and joins various types and sizes of gas piping/fittings including gas mains, services and meter sets, may also perform electric and/or gas welding. Installs and maintains pipe in accordance with construction and maintenance standards. Includes the operation of various equipment such as boring equipment, hydraulic tools, backhoe, stopping and tapping equipment and other machines used in distribution construction.
* Performs locating of underground natural gas systems.
* Performs compliance inspections/activities related to Cathodic Protection (CP), corrosion, relief/gate/regulator stations and leak/CP surveys.
* Responds to leaks and /or emergency situations, and completes appropriate reports and forms.
* May provide leadership and training to Apprentices or team members with less experience.
* Performs additional duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Required: High School diploma or equivalent (GED) required.
Required: Valid Florida Driver's License with an acceptable driving record; a CDL may be required with certain positions/assignments.
Required: Minimum of 1 to 2 years of experience performing the duties and responsibilities of this position; or minimum of 3 to 4 years of natural gas operations experience related to the duties and responsibilities of this position
Preferred: Minimum of 3-4 years performing the duties and responsibilities of this position.
* Must be able to proficiently perform all the functions of the PGS Apprentice Utility Technician position.
* Must understand basic map reading and be able to operate a computer, communication devices, power tools and equipment appropriate to the position/assignment.
* Must be able to perform basic math functions (add, subtract, multiply, divide, decimals, fractions, basic algebra and geometry).
* Must possess sound judgment.
* Must have the ability to follow complex oral and written instructions, and clearly express ideas verbally and in writing.
* Knowledge of the geographic area.
TECO offers a competitive Benefits package!!
Competitive Salary *401k Savings plan w/ company matching * Pension plan * Paid time off* Paid Holiday time * Medical, Prescription Drug, & Dental Coverage *Tuition Assistance Program * Employee Assistance Program * Wellness Programs * On-site Fitness Centers * Bonus Plan and more!
STORM DUTY REQUIREMENTS....Please make sure to read below!!! Responding to storms will be considered a condition of employment.
TECO Energy and its companies serve a role in providing critical services to our community during an emergency. Team members are required to participate in the response/recovery activities related to emergencies/disasters to maintain service to our TECO Energy customers. Team members are required to work in their normal job duties or other assigned activities. Proper compensation will be made in accordance with the company's rules and procedures.
TECO Energy is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.
TECO Energy is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by law, except where physical or mental abilities are a bona fide occupational requirement and the individual is unable to perform the essential functions of the position with reasonable accommodations.
In order to provide equal employment and advancement opportunities for all individuals, employment decisions at TECO Energy will be based on skills, knowledge, qualifications and abilities.
Pay Transparency Non-Discrimination Statement
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor's legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)
It is the policy of TECO Energy to provide reasonable accommodation for all qualified disabled individuals who are employees and applicants for employment, unless it would cause undue hardship. The corporation will adhere to applicable federal and state laws, regulations and guidelines, including, but not limited to the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990 and section 503 and 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1970s.
..... click apply for full job details