|Date Posted||September 22, 2022|
Mining / Oil / Gas
The position is posted at a range from Wind Technician and Wind Technician Sr. Education and experience will be used to determine the appropriate salary grade and level.
This job description is written at the Wind Technician level and expectations increase with the Wind Technician grade levels.
Support the facility manager and wind team to assure the facility operates in accordance with Safety, Health and Environmental policies and standards while achieving maximum performance, reliability and profitability. Assist in coordinating and performing duties related to OEM and contractor oversight, equipment inspections, monitoring and repairs, including the start-up, operation and shutdown of turbines, generators, exciters, transformers, switchyard and balance of plant equipment. Maintain, troubleshoot, and repair mechanical, hydraulic, and electrical systems.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS are listed below:
- Responsible for exercising care and good judgment in preventing accidents and protecting the safety and health of fellow workers. Report any unsafe actions, conditions or near misses. Attend and participate in environmental, safety and health, technical, business and cultural training and meetings.
- Assist the work of other employees and OEM and contractors. Provide instructions and guidance to others. Conduct JSAs, utilize JHAs and SDSs, etc. and follow established plant and company guidelines in job briefings.
- Assist in performing equipment inspections, monitoring, and repairs to ensure proper, safe and efficient start-up, operation and shutdown of turbines, generators, exciters, transformers, switchyard and balance of plant equipment. Operate valves, pumps, electrical disconnects, breakers and controls. Report abnormal plant equipment conditions and alarms. Assist in monitoring plant performance, investigate and correct abnormal conditions. Troubleshoot basic mechanical, hydraulic and electrical problems including repair or replacement of parts. Perform testing and assist in analyzing and diagnosing problems.
- Perform basic level operational wind turbine maintenance and installations. Learn and become proficient in using specialized tools.
- Assist in performing mechanical, electrical and hydraulic component corrective maintenance and repairs on balance of plant equipment. Oversee equipment inspections to assess needs for maintaining and improving plant reliability and availability.
- Assist in monitoring; control, indicating, and recording devices, comparing results with established standards and makes adjustments to operating conditions.
- Assist in collaborating with Engineering and Monitoring & Diagnostics Center on turbine issues, root-cause investigations, fault diagnostics and performance upgrade analysis.
- Assist in counting/finding warehouse inventory and parts.
- Learn how to use the work management systems to initiate, retrieve and update work orders, material requests, PMs and time entry, PASTA, etc.
- Learn how to use computer applications and software programs to extract data, analyze trends and report status to ensure plant reliability and efficiency. Produce, revise and maintain records, technical reports, procedures and plant drawings.
- Initiate clearance permits/LOTO, isolate equipment and remove all stored energy in accordance with procedure. Initiate permits in accordance with policies and procedures.
- Assist in responding to emergencies and maintaining plant security. Learn and become proficient in up-tower climbing/rescue, first aid, CPR and AED and incipient firefighting. Understand and adhere to all SPCC and emergency response programs. Conduct daily security checks. Assist in controlling access and activities at the wind farm.
- Operate hoists, forklift truck, small tractors, aerial lifts, scissor lifts, mobile and overhead cranes and automotive equipment and inspect scaffold and rigging after completion of training and in accordance with policies and procedures.
- Assist in using elementary, schematic, wiring and control diagrams to locate, troubleshoot and repair control systems involving electrical, electronic, mechanical, pneumatic or hydraulic components.
- Perform work as identified in the MESH process and document S&H near misses, incidents, accidents, and environmental hazards.
Wind Technician - BASIC QUALIFICATIONS Education: High School Diploma or Equivalent (GED) is required. Associate's degree in wind, electrical, mechanical or an associated technology preferred.
Experience: 2 Years of experience in the wind industry working as a Wind Technician or related work experience in power plant generation (electrical maintenance, operations or plant construction),or combination of these areas. Electrical experience working on/near various voltages ranging from 24V to 34.5kV, and working knowledge of voltages above 34.5kV recommended.
Must successfully complete a climbing test.
Licenses/Certifications: Must possess appropriate state driver's license.
- Travel is required.
- Familiarity and operating experience with Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition SCADA and/or power plant control and monitoring systems.
- Experience with Toolbox ST preferred. Familiarity with PI, PaSTA, Maximo or similar software preferred.
- GWO Safety Bundle Certificate Preferred
- Must have the ability to perform work in extreme heat and cold.
- Must have the ability to perform the following frequently: bending, squatting, kneeling, twisting/turning, climbing, stooping, overhead reaching, sitting, standing, lifting/carrying, pushing/pulling.
- Must be able to physically and mentally perform work in all areas and heights required. Demonstrate ability to climb 300-meter wind turbine. The maximum weight allowed is 265 lbs. per person due to limitations of associated climbing safety equipment.
- Must be able to learn the rules, safety practices and procedures.
- Must be able to learn all applicable operating instructions and procedures.
- Must be able to learn the tools and equipment and their use.
- Must be able to understand the care and attention required for the safe and efficient operation of wind turbine.
- Must have knowledge of electrical equipment principles, safety procedures and maintenance practices.
- Must be able to learn, analyze, and interpret instrument readings and indications, and to detect abnormal sounds in operating equipment.
- Must be able to read, interpret and work from electrical blueprints and schematics to troubleshoot equipment.
- Must be proficient in MS Office, Word, Excel, similar software and email.
- Must be able to work effectively with other employees.
Physical demand level is Medium
Wind Technician Sr - Basic Qualifications
Education: High School Diploma/GED is required. Associate's
degree in wind, electrical, mechanical or an associated technology
Experience: 4 Years of experience in the wind industry working as a
Wind Technician or related work experience in power plant
generation (electrical maintenance, operations or plant construction,)
or combination of these areas. Electrical experience working on/near
various voltages ranging from 24V to 34.5kV, and working
knowledge of voltages above 34.5kV recommended.
Must successfully complete a climbing test.
Licenses/Certifications: Must possess appropriate state driver's